Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Fri·sian(frĭzh′ən, frē′zhən) also Frie·sian (frē′zhən)
1. A native or inhabitant of the Frisian Islands or Friesland.
2. The West Germanic language of the Frisians. It is the language most closely related to English.
[From Latin Frīsiī, the Frisians, of Germanic origin.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Languages) a language spoken in the NW Netherlands, parts of N Germany, and adjacent islands, belonging to the West Germanic branch of the Indo-European family: the nearest relative of the English language; it has three main dialects
2. (Peoples) a native or inhabitant of Friesland or a speaker of the Frisian language
3. (Languages) a native or inhabitant of Friesland or a speaker of the Frisian language
4. (Languages) of or relating to the Frisian language or its speakers
5. (Peoples) of or relating to the Frisian language or its speakers
6. (Placename) of or relating to Friesland or its peoples and culture
7. (Languages) of or relating to Friesland or its peoples and culture
8. (Peoples) of or relating to Friesland or its peoples and culture
[C16: from Latin Frīsiī people of northern Germany]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Fri•sian(ˈfrɪʒ ən, ˈfri ʒən)
1. a member of a people of the North Sea coast.
2. the West Germanic language of the Frisians.adj.
3. of or pertaining to Friesland, the Frisians, or the language Frisian.
[1590–1600; < Latin Frisi(ī) the people of a Germanic tribe]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Frisian - a native or inhabitant of Friesland or Frisia|
|2.||Frisian - a West Germanic language spoken in Friesland in the northwestern Netherlands; a near relative of English|
Old Frisian - the Frisian language until the 16th century; the Germanic language of ancient Frisia
|Adj.||1.||Frisian - of or relating to the people or culture or language of Friesland or Frisia|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
A. ADJ → frisio
1. (= person) → frisio/a m/f
2. (Ling) → frisio m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005