chelation(redirected from Rain cannon)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Having chelae or resembling a chela.
A chemical compound in the form of a heterocyclic ring, containing a metal ion attached by coordinate bonds to at least two nonmetal ions.
tr.v. che·lat·ed, che·lat·ing, che·lates
1. Chemistry To combine (a metal ion) with a chemical compound to form a ring.
2. Medicine To remove (a heavy metal, such as lead or mercury) from the bloodstream by means of a chelate, such as EDTA.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Chemistry) chem the process by which a chelate is formed
2. (Zoology) animal husbandry the process by which trace elements in an animal's feed are bonded to amino acids, ensuring their absorption into the animal's body
3. (Physical Geography) geology the chemical removal of metallic ions in a mineral or rock by weathering
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. the process of chelating.
a. a method of removing certain heavy metals from the bloodstream, used esp. in treating lead or mercury poisoning.
b. a controversial treatment for arteriosclerosis that attempts to remove calcium deposits from the inner walls of the coronary arteries.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||chelation - (medicine) the process of removing a heavy metal from the bloodstream by means of a chelate as in treating lead or mercury poisoning|
physical process, process - a sustained phenomenon or one marked by gradual changes through a series of states; "events now in process"; "the process of calcification begins later for boys than for girls"
|2.||chelation - the process of forming a ring by forming one or more hydrogen bonds|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
chelationn quelación f; — therapy terapia quelante
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.