Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
The territory or government of a German state, as the Holy Roman Empire, or First Reich, from 962 to 1806; the German Empire, or Second Reich, from 1871 to 1919; the Weimar Republic, from 1919 to 1933; or the Third Reich, from 1933 to 1945.
[German, empire, realm, from Middle High German rīch, rīche, from Old High German rīhhi; see reg- in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Reich(raɪk; German raiç)
1. (Historical Terms) the Holy Roman Empire (First Reich)
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the Holy Roman Empire (First Reich)
3. (Historical Terms) the Hohenzollern empire from 1871 to 1919 (Second Reich)
4. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the Hohenzollern empire from 1871 to 1919 (Second Reich)
5. (Historical Terms) the Weimar Republic from 1919 to 1933
6. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the Weimar Republic from 1919 to 1933
7. (Historical Terms) the Nazi dictatorship from 1933 to 1945 (Third Reich)
8. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the Nazi dictatorship from 1933 to 1945 (Third Reich)
Reich(raɪk; German raiç)
1. (Biography) Steve. born 1936, US composer, whose works are characterized by the repetition and modification of small rhythmic motifs. His works include Drumming (1971), The Desert Music (1984), and City Life (1995)
2. (Biography) Wilhelm (ˈvɪlhɛlm). 1897–1957, Austrian psychologist, lived in the US. An ardent socialist and advocate of sexual freedom, he proclaimed a cosmic unity of all energy and built a machine (the orgone accumulator) to concentrate this energy on human beings. His books include The Function of the Orgasm (1927)
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
the German state during the period 1871–1945. Compare Third Reich.
[1920–25; < German: kingdom]
Wilhelm, 1897–1957, Austrian psychoanalyst in the U.S.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Reich - the German state |
body politic, country, nation, res publica, commonwealth, state, land - a politically organized body of people under a single government; "the state has elected a new president"; "African nations"; "students who had come to the nation's capitol"; "the country's largest manufacturer"; "an industrialized land"
Hohenzollern empire, Second Reich - the Reich when Hohenzollern monarchs ruled Germany (from 1871 to 1919)
|2.||Reich - Austrian born psychoanalyst who lived in the United States; advocated sexual freedom and believed that cosmic energy could be concentrated in a human being (1897-1957)|
|3.||Reich - United States composer (born in 1936)|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.