Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Of or relating to an imagined European kingdom characterized by provincialism, nationalism, and political intrigue: designed Ruritanian uniforms for the honor guard.
2. Of or relating to a hypothetical foreign nation, as in discussions of international law or economic theory.
[After Ruritania, , imaginary realm in the novel The Prisoner of Zenda by Anthony Hope.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Placename) of or relating to Ruritania
2. (Literary & Literary Critical Terms) of or relating to Ruritania
3. (Placename) involving adventure, romance, and intrigue
4. (Literary & Literary Critical Terms) involving adventure, romance, and intrigue
5. (Peoples) a native or inhabitant of Ruritania
6. (Literary & Literary Critical Terms) a native or inhabitant of Ruritania
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Ruritanian - an imaginary inhabitant of Ruritania|
|Adj.||1.||Ruritanian - of or pertaining to or characteristic of Ruritania (or any other imaginary country)|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.