Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Sin·ha·lese(sĭn′hə-lēz′, -lēs′) also Sing·ha·lese (sĭng′gə-lēz′, -lēs′)
n. pl. Sinhalese or Singhalese
1. A member of a people constituting the majority of the population of Sri Lanka.
2. The Indic language of the Sinhalese that is the chief language of Sri Lanka.
Of or relating to Sri Lanka, the Sinhalese, or their language or culture.
[Sanskrit Siṁhalam, Sri Lanka + -ese.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
npl -leses or -lese
1. (Peoples) a member of a people living chiefly in Sri Lanka, where they constitute the majority of the population
2. (Languages) the language of this people, belonging to the Indic branch of the Indo-European family: the official language of Sri Lanka. It is written in a script of Indian origin
3. (Peoples) of or relating to this people or their language
4. (Languages) of or relating to this people or their language
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Sin•ha•lese(ˌsɪn həˈliz, -ˈlis)
n., pl. -lese.
1. a member of an Indo-Aryan-speaking, chiefly Buddhist people comprising the majority of the inhabitants of Sri Lanka.
2. the Indo-Aryan language of the Sinhalese.adj.
3. of or pertaining to Sinhalese.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Sinhalese - a native or inhabitant of Sri Lanka|
Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka, Sri Lanka, Ceylon - a republic on the island of Ceylon; became independent of the United Kingdom in 1948
|2.||Sinhalese - the Indic language spoken by the people of Sri Lanka|
|Adj.||1.||Sinhalese - of or relating to the Sinhalese languages; "the Sinhalese versions of the Ramayana"|
|2.||Sinhalese - of or relating to the Sinhalese people; "Sinhalese rebels fighting the Tamils"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Sinhalese[ˌsɪnhəˈliːz] Singhalese [ˌsɪŋəˈliːz] adj → cingalais(e)
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Sinhalese[ˌsɪnhəˈliːz] adj & n → singalese (m/f)
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995