antes(redirected from Spanish prepositions)
Also found in: Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Games The stake that each poker player must put into the pool before receiving a hand or before receiving new cards.
2. A price to be paid, especially as one's share; cost: "Whether they could actually turn back Soviet policy depended on many factors that Moscow might yet choose to test by upping the ante" (Foreign Affairs)."Citizen Kane was the movie that raised the artistic ante among American filmmakers" (J. Hoberman).
v. an·ted or an·teed, an·te·ing, an·tes
1. Games To put (one's stake) into the pool in poker.
2. To pay (money or a fee): Let's ante the entry fee.
1. Games To put one's stake into the pool in poker: Don't look at your cards until everyone has anted.
2. To pay for something: anted for the tickets.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.