Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
To calculate the area of a rectangle, multiply the length by the width. The area of this rectangle is 50 square feet.
1. A roughly bounded part of the space on a surface; a region: a farming area; the New York area.
2. A surface, especially an open, unoccupied piece of ground: a landing area; a playing area.
3. A distinct part or section, as of a building, set aside for a specific function: a storage area in the basement.
4. A division of experience, activity, or knowledge; a field: studies in the area of finance; a job in the health-care area.
5. An open, sunken space next to a building; an areaway.
6. Abbr. A The extent of a planar region or of the surface of a solid measured in square units.
[Latin ārea, open space; possibly akin to ārēre, to be dry; see arid.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||areal - of or relating to or involving an area|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.