Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to bullhead: Bullhead catfish
1. Any of several stocky North American freshwater catfishes of the genus Ameiurus, having a tail that is not forked.
2. Any of several sculpins, especially the miller's thumb.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Animals) any of various small northern mainly marine scorpaenoid fishes of the family Cottidae that have a large head covered with bony plates and spines
2. (Animals) any freshwater North American catfish of the genus Ameiurus (or Ictalurus), having a large head bearing several long barbels
3. (Animals) a scorpion fish, Scorpaena guttata, of North American Pacific coastal waters
4. informal a stupidly stubborn or unintelligent person
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. any small North American freshwater catfish of the genus Ictalurus, having a truncate caudal fin.
2. an unreasonably obstinate person.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||bullhead - freshwater sculpin with a large flattened bony-plated head with hornlike spines|
sculpin - any of numerous spiny large-headed usually scaleless scorpaenoid fishes with broad mouths
|2.||bullhead - any of several common freshwater catfishes of the United States|
siluriform fish, catfish - any of numerous mostly freshwater bottom-living fishes of Eurasia and North America with barbels like whiskers around the mouth
brown bullhead - freshwater catfish of eastern United States
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.