Also found in: Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to bund: bund wall
An embankment or dike, especially in South Asia.
[Hindi band, from Persian, band of cloth, fastening, bund, from Middle Persian, bond, link, from Old Iranian *banda-; see bhendh- in Indo-European roots.]
bund 2(bo͝ond, bŭnd)
1. An association, especially a political association.
2. often Bund A pro-Nazi German-American organization of the 1930s.
3. often Bund A European Jewish socialist movement founded in Russia in 1897.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(in India and the Far East) n
1. (Civil Engineering) an embankment; dyke
2. (Civil Engineering) an embanked road or quay
[C19: from Hindi band, from Persian; related to Sanskrit bandha band1]
Bund(bʊnd; German bʊnt)
n, pl Bunds or Bünde (German ˈbyndə)
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (sometimes not capital) a federation or league
2. (Historical Terms) short for German American Bund, an organization of US Nazis and Nazi sympathizers in the 1930s and 1940s
3. (Historical Terms) an organization of socialist Jewish workers in Russia founded in 1897
4. (Historical Terms) the confederation of N German states, which existed from 1867–71
[C19: German; related to band2, bind]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. (in S Asia and the Far East) an earthen dike built to restrain the movement of water, as along a river.
2. (often cap.) a street or road, often a main thoroughfare, atop such a construction.
1. an alliance or league, esp. a political society.
2. (cap.) a pro-Nazi organization, the German-American Volksbund, in the U.S. during the 1930s and early 1940s.
[< German: association, league]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.