Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The building housing the administrative offices of a municipal government.
2. The municipal government, especially its officials considered as a group.
3. Slang An entrenched and insensitive bureaucracy, especially of a city: still trying to fight city hall.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the building housing the administrative offices of a city or municipal government
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) City Hall the building, located in Southwark and designed by Norman Foster, housing the headquarters of the Greater London Authority and London Mayor; opened in 2002
3. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) chiefly
a. municipal government
b. the officials of a municipality collectively
4. informal US bureaucracy
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. the administration building of a city government.
2. a city government.
3. Informal. bureaucratic rules and regulations, esp. of a city government: You can't fight city hall.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.