Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. Land next to the sea; the seashore.
b. The water near this land: fish of the Atlantic coast.
c. Coast The Pacific coast of the United States.
2. A hill or other slope down which one may coast, as on a sled.
3. The act of sliding or coasting; slide.
4. Obsolete The frontier or border of a country.
v. coast·ed, coast·ing, coasts
a. To slide down an incline through the effect of gravity.
b. To move without use of propelling power. See Synonyms at slide.
2. To act or move aimlessly or with little effort: coasted for a few weeks before applying for a job.
3. Nautical To sail near or along a coast.
To sail or move along the coast or border of.
coast′al (kō′stəl) adj.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.