Other highlights include Billings's Architectural Illustrations and Descriptions of the Cathedral Church at Durham from 1843, and the author's own proof copy of Hutchinson's The History and Antiquities of the County Palatine
of Durham from 1785-94.
Taken under the wing of the County Palatine
in 1925, we were mandated to be part of the flight to suburbia in the 1930s, setting up camp in Ormskirk.
One reason to be in the Red Rose County Palatine
is the view from Phil's house, a converted coach house on the outskirts of Burnley.
We had learned at the previous meeting, in Coventry, that the Friends of Real Lancashire had tried to register the traditional red rose on a white background flag of the County Palatine
but were turned down by the Flag Institute because a flag of that design had already been registered by Montrose.
In 1992, William Waldegrave, the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, said, that the "boundaries of the county palatine
are the same as the county boundaries which existed prior to local government reorganisation in 1973".
IN MEDIEVAL ENGLAND, a county palatine
was a shire where a peer of the realm possessed virtually sovereign rights in the administration of justice.
Camden noted that Montgomery was granted more lands than any of the others and built castles at Montgomery, Ludlow, and Shrewsbury,  and that Hugh Lupus was given the county palatine
and earldom of Chester to rule as freely by his sword as the Conqueror by his crown (Hh 4v).
This article describes how he came into contact with some of the most important independent jurisdictions ruled by the English king, in the county palatine
Clayton, The Administration of the County Palatine
of Chester, 1442-1485, Chetham Society, Third Series, vol.
Part of a PS500,000 restoration, the project will also see sections of damaged sandstone on the Eastgate repaired, and heraldry on the bridge - including the arms of the County Palatine
Richard Grosvenor, the sword of justice and three sheaves - re-gilded.
During the 15th Century the Prince Bishops of Durham ruled the County Palatine
of Durham on behalf of the King.
Together they comprise the frame for 32 shops, 45 apartments and two office buildings, and are the renovation of County Palatine
, Compton House and the Russell Building.