Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
top: surface view of cycloid scales of a bony fish
bottom: The parametric equations of this cycloid are
x = r(θ - sin θ),
y = r(1 - cos θ).cycloid
1. Resembling a circle.
a. Relating to or being a kind of fish scale that is thin, rounded, and smooth-edged and often shows concentric growth rings.
b. Having cycloid scales.
3. Psychology Afflicted with or relating to cyclothymia.
The curve traced by a point on the circumference of a circle that rolls on a straight line.
[French cycloïde, from Greek kukloeidēs, circular : kuklos, circle; see kwel- in Indo-European roots + -oeidēs, -oid.]
cy·cloi′dal (-kloid′l) adj.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Mathematics) resembling a circle
2. (Zoology) (of fish scales) rounded, thin, and smooth-edged, as those of the salmon
3. (Psychiatry) psychiatry (of a type of personality) characterized by exaggerated swings of mood between elation and depression. See also cyclothymia
4. (Mathematics) geometry the curve described by a point on the circumference of a circle as the circle rolls along a straight line. Compare trochoid1
5. (Zoology) a fish that has cycloid scales
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. resembling a circle; circular.
a. (of the scale of a fish) smooth-edged and more or less circular in form.
b. (of a fish) having such scales.
3. Psychiatry. of or denoting a personality type characterized by wide fluctuations in mood within the normal range.n.
4. a curve generated by a point on the circumference of a circle that rolls, without slipping, on a straight line.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||cycloid - a line generated by a point on a circle rolling along a straight line|
curate cycloid - a cycloid generated by a point inside the rolling circle
prolate cycloid - a cycloid generated by a point outside the rolling circle
|Adj.||1.||cycloid - resembling a circle|
rounded - curving and somewhat round in shape rather than jagged; "low rounded hills"; "rounded shoulders"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.