deactivate(redirected from deactavate)
Also found in: Medical.
tr.v. de·ac·ti·vat·ed, de·ac·ti·vat·ing, de·ac·ti·vates
1. To render inactive or ineffective.
2. To inhibit, block, or disrupt the action of (an enzyme or other biological agent).
3. To remove from active military status.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (tr) to make (a bomb, etc) harmless or inoperative
2. (Atomic Physics) (intr) to become less radioactive
3. (Military) (tr) US to end the active status of (a military unit)
4. (Chemistry) chem to return or cause to return from an activated state to a normal or ground state
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
v. -vat•ed, -vat•ing. v.t.
1. to make inactive: to deactivate a chemical.
2. to demobilize or disband (a military unit).
3. to render (a bomb or shell) inoperative.v.i.
4. to lose radioactivity.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: deactivated
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
|Verb||1.||deactivate - remove from active military status or reassign; "The men were deactivated after five years of service"|
|2.||deactivate - make inactive; "they deactivated the file"|
alter, change, modify - cause to change; make different; cause a transformation; "The advent of the automobile may have altered the growth pattern of the city"; "The discussion has changed my thinking about the issue"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
deactivate[diːˈæktɪveɪt] VT → desactivar
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
deactivate[diˈæktɪveɪt] vt (= disable) [+ bomb, alarm] → désactiver
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
vt → entschärfen
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
deactivate[diːˈæktɪˌveɪt] vt → disattivare
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995