Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The property possessed by some solutions of showing different colors at different concentrations.
2. The property possessed by some crystals of exhibiting two different colors when viewed along different axes.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (General Physics) Also called: dichromaticism a property of a uniaxial crystal, such as tourmaline, of showing a perceptible difference in colour when viewed along two different axes in transmitted white light. See also pleochroism
2. (Chemistry) a property of certain solutions as a result of which the wavelength (colour) of the light transmitted depends on the concentration of the solution and the length of the path of the light within the solution
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
di•chro•ism(ˈdaɪ kroʊˌɪz əm)
1. pleochroism of a uniaxial crystal such that it exhibits two different colors when viewed from two different directions under transmitted light.
2. the exhibition of different colors by some chemical solutions in different degrees of dilution or concentration.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
a property, peculiar to certain crystals, of reflecting light in two different colors when viewed from two different directions. — dichroic, adj.See also: Color, Light
-Ologies & -Isms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||dichroism - pleochroism of a crystal so that it exhibits two different colors when viewed from two different directions|
pleochroism - the phenomenon of different colors appearing when certain crystals are viewed from different directions
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
n. dicroísmo, propiedad de algunas soluciones o cristales de diferenciar colores a través de la luz reflejada o transmitida.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012