Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. One that equalizes, as:
a. A device for equalizing pressure or strain.
b. A tone control system designed to compensate for frequency distortion in audio systems.
2. Slang A deadly weapon, such as a firearm or switchblade.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. a person or thing that equalizes, esp a device to counterbalance opposing forces
2. (Electrical Engineering) an electronic network introduced into a transmission circuit to alter its response, esp to reduce distortion by equalizing its response over a specified frequency range
3. (Team Sports, other than specified) sport a goal, point, etc, that levels the score
4. slang US a weapon, esp a gun
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
e•qual•iz•er(ˈi kwəˌlaɪ zər)
1. a person or thing that equalizes.
2. any of various devices or appliances for equalizing strains, pressures, audio frequencies, etc.
3. an electric network of inductance, capacitance, or resistance established between two points in a given network to secure some constant relation, as even attenuation, between the two points.
4. Slang. a weapon, as a pistol.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||equalizer - electronic equipment that reduces frequency distortion|
electronic equipment - equipment that involves the controlled conduction of electrons (especially in a gas or vacuum or semiconductor)
|2.||equalizer - a weight that balances another weight|
sash weight - a counterweight for a sliding sash
tare - (chemical analysis) a counterweight used in chemical analysis; consists of an empty container that counterbalances the weight of the container holding chemicals
weight - an artifact that is heavy
|3.||equalizer - a score that makes the match even|
score - the act of scoring in a game or sport; "the winning score came with less than a minute left to play"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995