Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to federalist: Federalist Papers
1. An advocate of federalism.
2. Federalist A member or supporter of the Federalist Party.
1. Of or relating to federalism or its advocates.
2. Federalist Of or relating to Federalism or Federalists.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Historical Terms) a supporter or member of the Federalist party
(Historical Terms) characteristic of the Federalists
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
fed•er•al•ist(ˈfɛd ər ə lɪst)
1. an advocate of federalism.
2. (cap.) a member or supporter of the Federalist Party.adj.
3. Also, fed`er•al•is′tic. of or pertaining to federalism or federalists.
4. (cap.) of or pertaining to the Federalist Party or Federalists.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Federalist - a member of a former political party in the United States that favored a strong centralized federal government|
|2.||federalist - an advocate of federalism|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
adj [person, thing] → fédéraliste
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007