Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to flume: venturi flume
1. A narrow gorge, usually with a stream flowing through it.
2. An open artificial channel or chute carrying a stream of water, as for furnishing power or conveying logs.
3. A very small swimming pool designed with a propeller or pump to generate a current, allowing a swimmer to swim in place.
[Middle English flum, river, from Old French, from Latin flūmen, from fluere, to flow; see bhleu- in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Geological Science) a ravine through which a stream flows
2. (Forestry) a narrow artificial channel made for providing water for power, floating logs, etc
3. (Swimming, Water Sports & Surfing) a slide in the form of a long and winding tube with a stream of water running through it that descends into a purpose-built pool
(Forestry) (tr) to transport (logs) in a flume
[C12: from Old French flum, ultimately from Latin flūmen stream, from fluere to flow]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a deep narrow defile containing a mountain stream or torrent.
2. an artificial channel or trough for conducting water.
3. an amusement park ride in which passengers are conveyed through a water-filled chute or over a water slide.
[1125–75; Middle English flum < Old French < Latin flūmen stream]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: flumed
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||flume - a narrow gorge with a stream running through it|
gorge - a deep ravine (usually with a river running through it)
|2.||flume - watercourse that consists of an open artificial chute filled with water for power or for carrying logs|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.