Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
fore·head(fôr′hĕd′, -ĭd, fŏr′-)
1. The part of the face between the eyebrows, the normal hairline, and the temples.
2. The front part of something.
[Middle English forhed, from Old English forhēafod : for-, fore- + hēafod, head; see head.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Anatomy) the part of the face between the natural hairline and the eyes, formed skeletally by the frontal bone of the skull; brow.
[Old English forhēafod; related to Old Frisian forhāfd, Middle Low German vorhōved]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
fore•head(ˈfɔr ɪd, ˈfɒr-; ˈfɔrˌhɛd, ˈfɒr-)
1. the part of the face above the eyebrows; brow.
2. the fore or front part of something.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
See Also: FACE(S)
- The artery in his forehead bulged like a snake —Richard Ford
- Brow like masonry —Ted Hughes
- Forehead..as wrinkled as a washboard —Harvey Swados
- Forehead like a bright new moon —Arabian Nights
- (A slim girl with) a forehead which was shiny and protuberant, like a Bartlett pear —George Ade
- Forehead, with wrinkles like lines drawn all over it —Ivan Turgenev
- Her forehead shines like the gleam of morning —Arabian Nights
- A high forehead with a soft vein running indirectly down the middle like an aimless trickle of water on a windowpane —John Hersey
- His brows became contorted with thick frowns, like a bull’s forehead —V. S. Pritchett
- His brow swells out over his face like an eroded riverbank —T. Coraghessan Boyle
- His forehead bulged [with fury] as if he were horned —Jonathan Valin
See Also: ANGER
- His forehead rose like a gleaming dome towards the crown of his bald head —Alexander Solzhenitsyn
- A pair of thin horizontal lines, like furrows in a meadow of snow, appeared on her forehead —Bill Pronzini
- The skin [on a character’s forehead] was wrinkled into long horizontal lines, like lines of inquiry —Dan Jacobson
Similes Dictionary, 1st Edition. © 1988 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||forehead - the part of the face above the eyes|
face, human face - the front of the human head from the forehead to the chin and ear to ear; "he washed his face"; "I wish I had seen the look on his face when he got the news"
feature, lineament - the characteristic parts of a person's face: eyes and nose and mouth and chin; "an expression of pleasure crossed his features"; "his lineaments were very regular"
|2.||forehead - the large cranial bone forming the front part of the cranium: includes the upper part of the orbits|
glabella, mesophyron - a smooth prominence of the frontal bone between and above the eyebrows; the most forward projecting point of the forehead in the midline at the level of the supraorbital ridges
metopion - the craniometric point midway between the frontal eminences of the skull
ophryon - the craniometric point in the midline of the forehead immediately above the orbits
membrane bone - any bone that develops within membranous tissue without previous cartilage formation; e.g. the clavicle and bones of the skull
frontal eminence - either prominence of the frontal bone above each orbit
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
forehead[ˈfɒrɪd] N → frente f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
forehead[ˈfɒrɪd ˈfɔːrhɛd] n → front m
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n → Stirn f
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
forehead[ˈfɔːˌhɛd] n → fronte f
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
forehead(ˈforid) , (ˈfoː(r)hed) noun
the part of the face above the eyebrows and below the hairline; the brow. Her hair covers her forehead. voorkop جَبْهَه، جَبين чело testa čelo die Stirn pande μέτωποfrente otsaesine پیشانی otsa frontמצח čelo homlok dahi enni fronte 額 이마 kakta piere dahi voorhoofdpanneczoło تندى، ټنډه، وچولى testa frunte лоб čelo čelo čelo panna หน้าผาก alın 額 лоб, чоло پیشانی trán 额
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.
forehead→ جَبْهَة čelo pande Stirn μέτωπο frente otsa front čelo fronte 額 이마 voorhoofd panne czoło testa лоб panna หน้าผาก alın trán 前额
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012
foreheadn frente f
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.