Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A device for transmitting messages by reflecting sunlight.
2. A device capable of imaging the surface and outer regions of the sun.
v. he·li·o·graphed, he·li·o·graph·ing, he·li·o·graphs
To send (a message) by heliograph.
To send a heliograph.
he′li·og′ra·pher (-ŏg′rə-fər) n.
he′li·og′ra·phy (-ŏg′rə-fē) n.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Navigation) an instrument with mirrors and a shutter used for sending messages in Morse code by reflecting the sun's rays
2. (Astronomy) a device used to photograph the sun
heliographic, ˌhelioˈgraphical adj
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
he•li•o•graph(ˈhi li əˌgræf, -ˌgrɑf)
1. a device for signaling or sending messages by means of a movable mirror that reflects beams of light, esp. sunlight, over a distance.
2. an instrument for photographing the sun, consisting of a camera and specially adapted telescope.v.t., v.i.
3. to communicate by heliograph.
he`li•og′ra•pher (-ˈɒg rə fər) n.
he`li•o•graph′ic (-ˈgræf ɪk) adj.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
A system of sending signals by flashing sunlight from a mirror, used in the 1800s.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||heliograph - an apparatus for sending telegraphic messages by using a mirror to turn the sun's rays off and on|
|Verb||1.||heliograph - signal by means of a mirror and the using the sun's rays|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
heliograph[ˈhiːlɪəʊgrɑːf] N → heliógrafo m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007