Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A chief commissioner or one of high rank.
2. A chief representative of the government of one country who is assigned to an ambassadorial post in another country.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the senior diplomatic representative sent by one Commonwealth country to another instead of an ambassador
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the head of an international commission
3. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the chief officer in a colony or other dependency
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. the chief diplomatic representative of one sovereign member of the Commonwealth of Nations in the country of another.
2. the head of government, as in a protectorate.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.