Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(General Physics) the luminous flux incident on unit area of a surface. It is measured in lux. Symbol: Ev Sometimes called: illumination Compare irradiance
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
il•lu•mi•na•tion(ɪˌlu məˈneɪ ʃən)
1. an act or instance of illuminating.
2. the state of being illuminated.
3. a decoration of lights.
4. Sometimes, illuminations. a display using lights as a major decoration.
5. intellectual or spiritual enlightenment.
6. the intensity of light falling at a given place on a lighted surface; the luminous flux incident per unit area, expressed in lumens per unit of area.
7. a supply of light.
8. decoration of a manuscript or book with a painted design in color and gold or silver.
9. a design used in such decoration.
[1300–50; Middle English < Latin]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||illuminance - the luminous flux incident on a unit area|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.