Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to lumpen: Lumpen proletariat
lum·pen 1(lŭm′pən, lo͝om′-)
1. Of or relating to dispossessed, often displaced people who have been cut off from the socioeconomic class with which they would ordinarily be identified: lumpen intellectuals unable to find work in their fields.
2. Of or relating to the lumpenproletariat.
3. Vulgar or common; plebeian: "Popular novelists and their mass readership remain a despised lumpen minority" (Leslie Fiedler).
1. (used with a pl. verb) The lumpenproletariat.
2. (used with a sing. verb) A member of the lumpenproletariat.
[From German Lumpenproletariat, the lowest section of the proletariat; see lumpenproletariat.]
Having lumps or a lumpy appearance: "glancing with reluctant distaste at the shrouded, lumpen shape on the floor" (P.D. James).
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
informal stupid or unthinking
[from German Lump vagabond, influenced in meaning by Lumpen rag, as in lumpenproletariat]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
lum•pen(ˈlʌm pən, ˈlʊm-)
1. of or pertaining to disfranchised and uprooted individuals or groups, esp. those who have lost status: the lumpen bourgeoisie.n.
2. a lumpen individual or group.
[1945–50; extracted from lumpenproletariat]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
lumpen[ˈlʌmpən] (esp Brit) ADJ [person] → necio
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007