Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Symbol Ne A rare, inert gaseous element occurring in the atmosphere to the extent of 18 parts per million and obtained by fractional distillation of liquid air. It is colorless but glows reddish orange in an electric discharge and is used in lasers, as a cryogen, and in cathode-ray tubes and other display devices. Atomic number 10; atomic weight 20.180; melting point -248.59°C; boiling point -246.08°C. See Periodic Table.
2. Electric signage made with neon lights.
3. An extremely bright shade of a color.
4. A neon tetra.
1. Of, relating to, or containing neon.
2. Of or relating to a form of lighting used especially on advertising signs and consisting of glass tubes filled with neon or other gases that emit colored light when subjected to an electric current.
3. Extremely bright or vivid; fluorescent: neon purple.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Elements & Compounds) a colourless odourless rare gaseous element, an inert gas occurring in trace amounts in the atmosphere: used in illuminated signs and lights. Symbol: Ne; atomic no: 10; atomic wt: 20.1797; valency: 0; density: 0.899 90 kg/m3; melting pt: –248.59°C; boiling pt: –246.08°C
2. (Electrical Engineering) (modifier) of or illuminated by neon or neon lamps: neon sign.
[C19: via New Latin from Greek neon new]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a chemically inert gaseous element occurring in small amounts in the earth's atmosphere, used chiefly in a type of electrical lamp. Symbol: Ne; at. wt.: 20.183; at. no.: 10; density: 0.9002 g/l at 0°C and 760 mm pressure.
2. a sign or advertising sign formed from neon lamps.
[1895–1900; < Greek néon new, recent]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Symbol Ne A rare element that is a noble gas and occurs naturally in extremely small amounts in the atmosphere. It is colorless but glows reddish orange when electricity passes through it, such as in a tube in an electric sign. Neon is also used for refrigeration. Atomic number 10. See Periodic Table.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||neon - a colorless odorless gaseous element that give a red glow in a vacuum tube; one of the six inert gasses; occurs in the air in small amounts|
chemical element, element - any of the more than 100 known substances (of which 92 occur naturally) that cannot be separated into simpler substances and that singly or in combination constitute all matter
argonon, inert gas, noble gas - any of the chemically inert gaseous elements of the helium group in the periodic table
air - a mixture of gases (especially oxygen) required for breathing; the stuff that the wind consists of; "air pollution"; "a smell of chemicals in the air"; "open a window and let in some air"; "I need some fresh air"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
neon[ˈniːɒn] n → néon m neon light, neon sign
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
an element, a colourless gas used in certain forms of electric lighting, eg advertising signs. neon غاز النيون неон neon neon das Neon neon νέονneón neoon نئون neon néon נֵיאוֹן एक प्रकार का गैस neonska reklama neon neon neon neon ネオン 네온 neonas neons lampu neon neonneonneon نيون néon neon неон neón neon neon neon นีออน neon 氖 неон ايک قسم کي گيس nê-ông 氖
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.
neon→ غَازُ الْنِيُون neón neon Neon νέον neón neon néon neon neon ネオン 네온 neon neon neon néon неон neon ไฟนีออน neon nê ông 霓虹灯
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009