Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. nim·bi (-bī′) or nim·bus·es
1. A cloudy radiance said to surround a classical deity when on earth.
2. A radiant light that appears usually in the form of a circle or halo about or over the head in the representation of a god, demigod, saint, or sacred person such as a king or an emperor.
3. A splendid atmosphere or aura, as of glamour, that surrounds a person or thing.
4. A rain cloud, especially a low dark layer of clouds such as a nimbostratus.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -bi (-baɪ) or -buses
1. (Physical Geography)
a. a dark grey rain-bearing cloud
b. (in combination): cumulonimbus clouds.
2. (Art Terms)
a. an emanation of light surrounding a saint or deity
b. a representation of this emanation
3. a surrounding aura or atmosphere
[C17: from Latin: cloud, radiance]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. -bi (-bī), -bus•es.
1. (in classical myth) a cloud that sometimes surrounds a deity appearing on earth.
2. a cloud, aura, atmosphere, etc., surrounding a person or thing.
4. the type of dense cloud that yields rain or snow.
[1610–20; < Latin: cloud; akin to Latin nebula, Greek nephélē, néphos cloud]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
A rain cloud.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Thick grey generally shapeless clouds that form at about 1.3 mi (2km).
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||nimbus - a dark grey cloud bearing rain |
cloud - a visible mass of water or ice particles suspended at a considerable altitude
|2.||nimbus - an indication of radiant light drawn around the head of a saint|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
noun halo, atmosphere, glow, aura, ambience, corona, irradiation, aureole Kevin was surrounded by a nimbus of sunlight.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
nimbus[ˈnɪmbəs] N (nimbi or nimbuses (pl)) → nimbo m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
nimbus[ˈnɪmbəs] n → nembo
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995