Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
tr.v. op·ti·mized, op·ti·miz·ing, op·ti·miz·es
1. To make as perfect or effective as possible.
2. Computers To increase the computing speed and efficiency of (a program), as by rewriting instructions.
3. To make the most of.
op′ti·mi·za′tion (-mĭ-zā′shən) n.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (tr) to take the full advantage of
2. (Commerce) (tr) to plan or carry out (an economic activity) with maximum efficiency
3. (intr) to be optimistic
4. (Computer Science) (tr) to write or modify (a computer program) to achieve maximum efficiency in storage capacity, time, cost, etc
5. (tr) to find the best compromise among several often conflicting requirements, as in engineering design
ˌoptimiˈzation, ˌoptimiˈsation n
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
v. -mized, -miz•ing. v.t.
1. to make as effective, perfect, or useful as possible.
2. to make the best of.
3. to write or rewrite (the instructions in a computer program) for maximum efficiency and speed in retrieval, storage, or execution.
4. Math. to determine the maximum or minimum values of (a specified function that is subject to a set of constraints).v.i.
5. to be optimistic.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: optimized
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||optimize - make optimal; get the most out of; use best; "optimize your resources"|
|2.||optimize - modify to achieve maximum efficiency in storage capacity or time or cost; "optimize a computer program"|
modify - make less severe or harsh or extreme; "please modify this letter to make it more polite"; "he modified his views on same-gender marriage"
|3.||optimize - act as an optimist and take a sunny view of the world|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
optimize[ˈɒptɪmaɪz] VT → optimizar
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
optimize[ˈɒptɪmaɪz] optimise (British) vt
[+ plan, treatment, machine] → optimiser
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
vt → optimieren
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.