Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A supporter of the rights and power of the people.
2. Populist A supporter of the Populist Party.
1. Of or relating to populism or its advocates: a populist aversion to business monopolies.
2. Populist Of or relating to the Populist Party.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
appealing to the interests or prejudices of ordinary people
(Government, Politics & Diplomacy) a person, esp a politician, who appeals to the interests or prejudices of ordinary people
(Historical Terms) history US a member of the People's Party, formed largely by agrarian interests to contest the 1892 presidential election. The movement gradually dissolved after the 1904 election
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) of, characteristic of, or relating to the People's Party, the Populists, or any individual or movement with similar aims
2. (Historical Terms) of, characteristic of, or relating to the People's Party, the Populists, or any individual or movement with similar aims
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Pop•u•list(ˈpɒp yə lɪst)
1. a member of the Populist or People's Party.
2. (l.c.) a supporter of populism.adj.
3. of or pertaining to the Populist Party.
4. (l.c.) of, pertaining to, or characteristic of populism or its supporters.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
populist[ˈpɒpʊlɪst] adj [politician, artist] → populiste
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
populist[ˈpɒpjʊlɪst] adj (frm) → populistico/a
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995