Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. Any of several North American plants of the genus Lithospermum, having orange or yellow flowers and roots that yield a red dye.
b. Any of several plants, such as the bloodroot, whose roots yield a reddish dye. Also called gromwell.
2. The dye from any of these plants.
[Of Virginia Algonquian origin.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Plants) Also called: alkanet any of several North American boraginaceous plants of the genus Lithospermum, esp L. canescens, that yield a red dye. See also gromwell
2. (Plants) any of several other plants that yield a reddish dye, esp the bloodroot (red puccoon)
3. (Dyeing) the dye from any of these plants
[C17: of Algonquian origin; see pokeweed]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. any of certain plants, as the bloodroot and plants belonging to the genus Lithospermum, of the borage family, yielding a red dye.
2. the dye itself.
[1612 (John Smith); < Virginia Algonquian (E sp.) poughkone the herb Lithospermum vulgare and the red dye made from its root (c. Unami Delaware pé·kɔ·n bloodroot)]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||puccoon - perennial plant of eastern North America having hairy foliage yielding a red or yellow pigment|
herb, herbaceous plant - a plant lacking a permanent woody stem; many are flowering garden plants or potherbs; some having medicinal properties; some are pests
|2.||puccoon - perennial woodland native of North America having a red root and red sap and bearing a solitary lobed leaf and white flower in early spring and having acrid emetic properties; rootstock used as a stimulant and expectorant|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.