Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A realistic piece of stage scenery constructed to stand by itself.
2. An often brilliantly executed artistic or literary work characterized by a formal pattern.
a. A carefully planned and executed military operation.
b. A situation, activity, or speech planned beforehand and carried out according to a prescribed pattern or formula.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. a work of literature, music, etc, often having a conventional or prescribed theme, intended to create an impressive effect
2. (Theatre) a piece of scenery built to stand independently as part of a stage set
3. a display of fireworks
4. (General Sporting Terms) sport a rehearsed team manoeuvre, usually attempted in continuous games at a restart of play, esp when the other side has been penalized for improper play
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a work of art, literature, music, etc., or a part of such a work having a conventionally prescribed thematic and formal structure.
2. a piece of stage scenery built to stand independently on the floor and usu. forming part of a set.
3. any sequence of rehearsed movements or maneuvers, as in sports or military operations.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Corner, free kick, throw-in , or similar, in which predetermined tactical moves can be carried out.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||set piece - a piece of scenery intended to stand alone as part of the stage setting|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.