Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Units) the full name for ton12
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a unit of weight, equivalent to 2000 pounds (0.907 metric ton) avoirdupois (short ton) in the U.S. and 2240 pounds (1.016 metric tons) avoirdupois (long ton) in Great Britain.
2. Also called freight ton . a unit of volume for freight that weighs one ton, varying with the type of freight measured, as 40 cubic feet of oak timber or 20 bushels of wheat.
3. metric ton.
5. a unit of volume used in transportation by sea, commonly equal to 40 cubic feet (1.13 cu. m).
6. a unit of internal capacity of ships, equal to 100 cubic feet (2.83 cu. m) (register ton).
7. Often, tons. a great quantity; a lot: a ton of jokes.
[1350–1400; Middle English; variant of tun]
n., pl. tons (Fr. tôn).
1. high fashion; stylishness.
2. the current fashion, style, or vogue.
[1755–65; < French < Latin tonus tone]
a suffix formerly used to form nouns from adjectives: simpleton; singleton.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
2,000 pounds. Also called S/T or STON.
Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms. US Department of Defense 2005.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||short ton - a United States unit of weight equivalent to 2000 pounds|
avoirdupois unit - any of the units of the avoirdupois system of weights
cental, cwt, short hundredweight, hundredweight, quintal, centner - a United States unit of weight equivalent to 100 pounds
kiloton - one thousand tons
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.