Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
strait·jack·etalso straight·jack·et (strāt′jăk′ĭt)
1. A long-sleeved jacketlike garment used to bind the arms tightly against the body as a means of restraining a violent patient or prisoner.
2. Something that restricts, hinders, or confines: the straitjacket of bureaucratic paperwork.
tr.v. strait·jack·et·ed, strait·jack·et·ing, strait·jack·ets also straight·jack·et·ed or straight·jack·et·ing or straight·jack·ets
To restrain, restrict, or hinder by or as if by confining in a straitjacket.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Clothing & Fashion) Also called: straightjacket a jacket made of strong canvas material with long sleeves for binding the arms of violent prisoners or mentally ill patients
2. a severe restriction or limitation
(tr) to confine in or as if in a straitjacket
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
or straight•jack•et(ˈstreɪtˌdʒæk ɪt)
1. a garment made of strong material and designed to bind the arms, as of a violent person.
2. anything that severely confines or constricts.v.t.
3. to put in or as if in a straitjacket.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: straitjacketed
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||straitjacket - anything immaterial that severely hinders or confines; "they defected because Russian dance was in a straitjacket"; "the government is operating in an economic straitjacket"|
|2.||straitjacket - a garment similar to a jacket that is used to bind the arms tightly against the body as a means of restraining a violent person|
garment - an article of clothing; "garments of the finest silk"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
straitjacket[ˈstreɪtˌdʒækɪt] n → camicia di forza
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
straitjacketn camisa de fuerza
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.