stranglehold(redirected from strangleholds)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. Sports An illegal wrestling hold used to choke an opponent.
2. A force, influence, or action that restricts or suppresses freedom or progress. Also called throttlehold.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Wrestling) a wrestling hold in which a wrestler's arms are pressed against the opponent's windpipe. See also Japanese stranglehold
2. complete power or control over a person or situation
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. an illegal wrestling hold by which an opponent's breath is choked off.
2. any force or influence that restricts free actions or development.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||stranglehold - complete power over a person or situation; "corporations have a stranglehold on the media"; "the president applied a chokehold to labor disputes that inconvenienced the public"|
|2.||stranglehold - a wrestling hold in which the arms are pressed against the opponent's windpipe|
wrestling hold - a hold used in the sport of wrestling
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
noun grip, hold, grasp, clutches, iron grip The troops are tightening their stranglehold on the city.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
(lit) → étranglement m
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
stranglehold[ˈstræŋglˌhəʊld] n (Wrestling) → presa di gola
to have a stranglehold on sb/sth (fig) → tenere qn/qc in pugno
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995