Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to thermonuclear: thermonuclear bomb, thermonuclear reaction, thermonuclear reactor, Thermonuclear fusion
1. Relating to or derived from the fusion of atomic nuclei at high temperatures: thermonuclear reactions.
2. Relating to or characterized by the use of weapons that employ nuclear fusion, especially as distinguished from those that employ only nuclear fission: thermonuclear war.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Nuclear Physics) involving nuclear fusion: a thermonuclear reaction; thermonuclear energy.
2. (Military) involving thermonuclear weapons: a thermonuclear war.
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
ther•mo•nu•cle•ar(ˌθɜr moʊˈnu kli ər, -ˈnyu- or, by metathesis, -kyə lər)
1. of, pertaining to, or involving fusion reactions between nuclei of a light element, as hydrogen, that require temperatures of several million degrees to occur: thermonuclear power.
2. pertaining to or using energy from such reactions: thermonuclear weapons systems.
pron: See nuclear.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
1. Derived from the fusion of atomic nuclei at high temperatures or the energy produced in this way.
2. Relating to weapons based on nuclear fusion, especially as distinguished from those based on nuclear fission.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
An adjective referring to the process (or processes) in which very high temperatures are used to bring about the fusion of light nuclei with the accompanying release of energy.
Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms. US Department of Defense 2005.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||thermonuclear - using nuclear weapons based on fusion as distinguished from fission|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
thermonuclear[ˈθɜːməʊˈnjuːklɪəʳ] ADJ → termonuclear
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
thermonuclear[ˌθɜːrməʊˈnjuːkliər] adj → thermonucléaire
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
thermonuclear[ˌθɜːməʊˈnjuːklɪəʳ] adj → termonucleare
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
a. termonuclear, rel. a reacciones termonucleares.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012